Sunday, August 3, 2008

what is your gift?




Tonight I headed over to my local B&N bookstore to surround myself with literature. Truth is, I have always found strength in libraries and bookstores. There is something amazingly powerful about being surrounded by all the intellect and wisdom and great ideas that once changed the world--and those ideas that will go on to ignite the passion in others to add their own part to history. Think about it for a quick second: A book, it's so small, yet can be so profound and influential to the human spirit.

But tonight was different. I didn't peruse the pages of the latest bestseller or grab a seat on the carpet by the film section or thumb through the latest filmmaker magazine. After buying a double espresso, I ran into my father-in-law, who I have much respect for. In many ways, I think of him as a spiritual mentor to me, a motivator, a guide and a friend who I have much in common with--particularly in how we view the world.

Long story short: After about 30 minutes of discussing current affairs, indivdualism, God and the pitfalls of the ego, he said something that stuck with me long after leaving B&H. He said that we all have gifts that are unique in their own way, and that it's a beautiful thing when we are able to not only simply share those gifts, but to do so in a way that helps others reveal their gifts. To do so in a way that helps others to ultimately shine.

I think it's easy to get side-tracked sometimes and see our gifts as a self-serving mechanism, but I have come to see in my short-lived life that it's only after we make others shine that we are able to truly shine ourselves.

I'm curious... what is your gift? How do you see yourselves using your gift to make others shine? Feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email...

I'm planning a TOP SECRET SPECIAL PROJECT that will be unveiled in time, and I would love to have those who believe in the beauty of the human spirit and the power of our ability to positively influence the course of human history be a part of this amazing event.

Which brings me to the picture of my son at the top of this post. He is seated in the engine of a Union Pacific diesel cab, and the wonder in his eyes reminds me that anything is possible in this world.

2 comments:

~gina lee said...

I am intrigued.. sign me up for the project.. more details please....

Michelle said...

I love this post Chris! I totally agree. After all I think that one of our purposes here is to help others, what ever way that may be. And you do always feel better when you help someone.

Gina does do a great job with sharing her gift. Both with friends and those who are going through a rough moment. I think that a gift is not truely a gift it only used selfishly and never shared.

Keep up YOUR great work and keep making a difference!!