The other day, on a spontaneous whim, we headed to the Santa Monica Pier for a little fun, and it was enjoyable in every way--to say the least. After walking by an advertisement that read MY BODY, MY BIOGRAPHY, I looked over and saw my family walking across the street in the crosswalk. It made me ponder my creative endeavors and who I am as a filmmaker.
It was at that moment I was struck by the notion that as a documentary filmmaker, the greatest film that I will ever create will be the one that documents the memories of my family. Suddenly, I was hit with the idea of MY FAMILY, MY BIOGRAPHY.
And as each day passes--as daddy's little girl and my super dude grow older--the value of those moments increases. Time is ticking. Life is moving fast. I want to live life and have fun-filled memories every day to look back on. 
I want my children to have a box full of memories some day to find strength in the moving images of family and love and adventure. It's my duty to at least do that much, because it's history. Our history that I'm passing down to them, and for me, there is so much beauty an power in the moving image. The ability to move an audience, to capture reality and immerse (or re-immerse) yourself in that moment over and over again is so powerful to me.
A friend of mine sent me over the design for a new t-shirt today, and it read CARPE DIEM. I loved both the design and the simplicity of a phrase that holds so much weight.
Seize the Day.
Seize the Camera.
Seize the Memories...
Life is short, and the time we have here is so precious. That's why I want to make...
MY FAMILY, MY BIOGRAPHY
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
My Family, My Biography
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love it!! You're a great dad Chris... your parents must be really proud! Cheers from NY my friend...
Post a Comment