Friday, March 20, 2009

Goldfish and Griffith Park...




This past week, I made two new friends in Matt and Madeline, when Gina asked me to grab my equipment and be her shadow.

Matt's story is so touching and inspiring and so real, and I hope that you will take the time to read his blog. Everybody has a story and his is inspiring to say the least.

As a father, though, Matt's love and dedication for his daughter Madeline touches me because I can see that he loves her just as much as I love my OWN Madeleine (with an "e"). I guess the best way to describe that love is with something that happened a few nights ago before I put Madeleine to bed:

I was in the hallway, heading towards her room, and I said, "Mad Dog [that's her nickname I gave her when she was little], have you picked out a book to read tonight?"

She didn't answer.

When I walked into her room, she was kneeling down beside her dresser holding a picture of me holding her when she was a little baby.

I called her name again, but no response. I could tell that something was bothering her. Her body was tense, and she wasn't moving. She just stared at the picture, and I could see that she was getting ready to cry.

I called her name again, and asked her what was wrong, and holding the picture, she turned and said, "I want you to be able to hold me again in your arms like you did when I was a baby. I don't want to get bigger."



I froze. Speechless. I wanted to just breakdown right there because I had felt the same way. She's turning six in May (we share the same birth day--the 6th) and it's hitting me hard. I can't carry her like I used to because she's stretching out, but I do, and it's awkward. We're like two beanstalks with smiles plodding along the sidewalk.

Before I broke down, I sat down beside her and wrapped my arms around her and pulled her in close to my chest and I said, "I may not be able to hold you forever, but you'll always have a special spot in daddy's arms forever."

We didn't read that night. I guess some nights, there are more important things to tend to that even a book can't explain. Instead, we watched Toy Story 2 and laughed and ate string cheese until we both feel asleep.

True story--one I will never forget.

And as for Matt's story, I am thankful that he allowed me the opportunity to be a part of it that day in the park.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE the video of Matt and Madeline. I saw it on Matt's blog. I am jealous -- I wish I would have something as professional and beautiful of my precious little ones back at that age. If this is the results of working with your wife, both of you should team up all the time!!

Babs said...

I am a relative new reader of Matt's blog and found your site through his. Your video has left me speechless, in tears, and hugging my kids. That song is so perfect! I love how you mixed all the elements, movement, music, stills, pictures. You have created a wonderful gift for Madeline to have forever.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you are amazingly talented! That song choice was beyond perfect, and I love your filming style. Very polished. You & your wife are quite the power couple when it comes to creativity :-)

amyinbc said...

Gorgeous photos, gorgeous video! You two are so very talented :)

Anonymous said...

I saw the video you did for Matt & Madeline on Matt's blog - I am blown away. It is absolutely beautiful and I am so glad he introduced me to your work.

I'm wondering, what is the song you used in the video?

Christopher Lee said...

Thank you all for the kind comments. I really appreciate that each of you took the time to leave a comment. Several people have asked about the song. It's by Amy Seeley, and it's called Walk to the Park. Check out her work. She has a super-cool vibe going on!

Rachel said...

I'm so happy to have found your site via Matt's blog. I just went to iTunes to purchase "Walk to the Park". What a beautiful song. Your work is inspiring.

-Rachel Nelson

Anonymous said...

Wow, I agree, you should really team up with your wife more often, if your schedule allows. I myself, would pay anything to have that kind of memory of my kids. Inspiring! Beautiful!

deliciousmelissa said...

The video made me smile. A LOT. Beautiful work, and so well done. Coming from talent and a heart like yours it's no wonder. Your wife is incredibly gifted, GOODNESS!

Tiffany said...

Both your talent and Matt's love for his daughter shine through in this piece. Thanks for sharing. It added a smile to my day :)

shannon said...

wow! beautiful video...nice work.

Shari said...

I wanted to drop a note too to say that I greatly enjoyed the video. The song is absolutely perfect. You've captured and produced such a great piece of art. Thanks for sharing your passion with us.

Christopher Lee said...

I just wanted to drop in and say thank you again to all who have been kind enough to leave a comment. As always, they really mean a lot to me. Just I'm touched that the video moved you, know that your comments make my day!

Christina said...

incredible video! love the way you documented the photography. my husband does this kind of work and it is such a gift to turn these memories into art.

amber said...

This video is absolutely beautiful and totally has me tearing up. What a wonderful gift for Matt and Madeline.