The other day I was working on the new film studio we are building on campus. I couldn't figure out why there was no power running to any of the elecrical outlets. We had lights but no juice to the sockets. I called a custodian and he couldn't figure it out. It just happened that two workers from the district were passing through that day and I asked them to take a look. They looked at the main breaker in the room and saw nothing wrong. They looked at the main breaker in the building and again, nothing wrong. I was then instructed to place a work order in to the district to have an electrician take a look. Nobody could figure out the problem--that is until my four-year-old daughter asked me, "Can I turn this switch on dad?" Without really processing what she was asking, I said, "Sure, let's see what happens." In one flick of the switch, all the computers turned on. We had power, and there, written on the switch beneath her delicate little fingers were the words "Power Shutdown." As I grow older, I find myself becoming more or a robot, more in tune with a patterned way of living that prevents me from seeing things off the beaten path--things like a light swith in open sight. Clearly, it's a conditioned way of living and seeing things that I have allowed myself to develop over time, but fortunately, I have a little girl in my life who stops me dead in my tracks from time to time in order to help me see what's really important in life.
Monday, October 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment