Monday, October 8, 2007

the blue man in us all...



Thanks to my wife, I recently saw the Blue Man Group at the Universal in Hollywood. We had front row seats and backstage passes. She knew that I loved the group, and so last year, for Christmas, she surprised me with the tickets. For those who haven’t experienced BMG, there needs to be a little explanation, but realize, that words cannot explain the power of their magic. First off, the group presents themselves dressed all in black, with every inch of their skin (including their bald heads) painted in bright cobalt blue. There is a heap of mystery behind them, as they try to navigate their way through a technologically- heightened world using a strong sense of curiosity and percussion-based music.

What I find so alluring about BMG is the fact that they represent the inner child in all of us, or rather that child we used to be, forever curious and questioning about the world. They represent a time in my life, when mortgages and gas bills didn’t fill my head, when I had time to explore the universe one step at a time. If nothing else, BMG remind me to stop and slow down. After all, as Vonnegut once said, “What’s the hurry?”

I could go into the Romantic implications of their presence, and how Blake a la innocence and experience would have said, “I told you so,” but for now, I’ll just settle with the fact, that deep inside, beyond the trials and struggles of everyday life, is a blue core still curious about the world. Still curious about moving forward with each step, one step, one foot in front of the other, each day at a time. After all, what’s the hurry?

No comments: